Summit Charter School is a nonprofit, tuition-free charter school authorized by the state of North Carolina. As a charter school, Summit will be open to all students who would otherwise qualify for enrollment in North Carolina Public Schools. The school will not discriminate against any student on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, or disability. Summit’s admissions proceedings are guided by North Carolina Legislation § 115C-218.45.
Applications for enrollment will become available by September 1 of each year, and may be requested or picked up in the school’s office, or downloaded from the school’s website. Completed applications must be received in hand at the school office by March 16. At that time the determination will be made as to whether a lottery will be required. If there are more applicants than there are spots available, a lottery will be held on March 31, or the first day of school following March 31, should that date fall on a Saturday or Sunday.
1. Enrolled Summit Students: Students currently enrolled in Summit Charter School do not need to reapply for admissions on an annual basis. Returning students are given top priority, and families will be issued an Intent to Return form to complete and return to the school during the open enrollment period.
2. Children of Full-time School Employees: Children of full-time Summit employees will be given preference for enrollment when space is available. When no slots are available, or when there are more full-time staff children than spaces available, there will be a staff lottery for that grade level. No more than 15% of the school's total enrollment of children of full-time employees can receive preference.
3. Siblings of Enrolled Summit Students: Siblings of currently enrolled students at Summit will receive preference for enrollment when space is available. When no slots are available or when there are more siblings than spaces available, there will be a sibling lottery for that grade level. The law defines siblings as any of the following who reside in the same household: full-siblings, half-siblings, stepsiblings, and children residing in a family foster home.
4. Opportunity Preference: Any former student enrolled as Summit within the last two academic years but left due to an academic study abroad program, competitive admission residential program, or vocational opportunities of the parents, will receive enrollment preference.
5. Legacy Preference: Siblings of students that completed the eighth grade at Summit and were enrolled at least since fourth grade can receive sibling preference as described above.
The Summit Charter School Director will notify each applicant, in writing, of its placement. Each admitted applicant shall accept admission in writing no later than 10 days after notification of admission. If the applicant does not notify the school of its acceptance of admission on or before the 10th day, the applicant will be deemed to have declined admission, and the first child on the waiting list will be offered admission.
• The student is currently under a term of expulsion or suspension by his or her school, until that term is over.
• A parent or guardian willingly and knowingly provided incorrect information on the enrollment application.
• If a student has accepted enrollment at the school, but does not appear at the school in the first 2 days of school, the school will make reasonable attempts to contact the parents. If there is no response from the parent by the 5th day of school, Summit reserves the right to remove the student from their enrollment roster and offer a position to the next student on the waiting list.
Each day in my words and my deeds, I will do my best to live these seven virtues: Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, Compassion, Self-Discipline, Perseverance, and Giving.
In order for your child to be a candidate for the enrollment lottery, please make sure you complete and submit the application linked below by March 16th.
Applications to attend Summit Charter School must be submitted by a child's parent or legal guardian.
Click the image below to download the application and admission policy.
Please feel free to contact the school with any questions and/or to set up a tour (not required).